2022 High School Scholarship
This document outlines the Calvary Christian Center Scholarship Application guidelines and to inform all of the processes, procedures, and requirements for the scholarship program. It is a comprehensive document that provides instructions to students, parents/guardians (hereafter referred to as “parent(s)”), the scholarship committee and church staff for the Calvary Christian Center scholarship. A primary objective of this process is to train our young people to be more responsible for handling any requirements for their future success. Towards that end, we offer mock interview training opportunities for students as we place a lot of responsibility on them.
1. The Calvary Christian Center Scholarship application packet (scholarship application, an official high school transcript, reference letters, essay, and college acceptance letters) must be received TO THE CHURCH OFFICE by the deadline of 5pm, Friday, March 18, 2022 established by the scholarship committee. No exceptions!
2. Scholarships are available to the children of Calvary Christian Center Covenantors (members). The parent(s) are required to have been members of Calvary AND must have supported Calvary financially through tithes and offerings for at least one year as of Jan 1, 2021.
3. Only students who have completed high school requirements AND have been accepted to an institution of higher learning as described in paragraph 4 below will be considered.
4. Scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school seniors who are pursuing a degree at a four-year accredited college, junior college, community college or technical/trade school, and is renewable provided the student establishes and maintains a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 system. The scholarship is renewable for a period of four consecutive years ONLY.
5. Each applicant must submit to the scholarship committee a formal application and an official high school transcript, which includes the courses and grades from the first semester/quarter of the current school year. A student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to apply. In addition, each applicant must submit a one page typed essay on the topic: “Why I Should Be Considered for the Scholarship." Persons possessing a general equivalency diploma (GED) will be considered on a case by case basis.
6. Enrollment in an institution of higher learning must occur in the first semester immediately following completion of high school requirements. Students must indicate their start date on the application.
Scholarship awards will be based upon the following criteria:
Church and community activities
Scholarship Interview Process
1. Scholarship funds will be made payable to the recipient’s school of choice.
2. Scholarship funds of $1,500 ($750.00 per semester) will be applied toward the recipient’s academic expenses.
3. Scholarship applicants must provide two (2) letters of reference from persons not related to them, such as teachers, employers, church members, individuals in the community, etc. (only one letter from a category). Letters should be on official company/agency/organization letterhead and dated no earlier than January 20, 2022. Letters from individuals must be written in a formal format and include name, complete address, date, and telephone number.
4. The recipient must maintain a 2.5 GPA or better for continued eligibility of scholarship funds (summer sessions are excluded from this scholarship program). IF THE RECIPIENT’S OVERALL GPA FALLS BELOW 2.5, HE/SHE WILL BE INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE FUNDS THE FOLLOWING SCHOOL SEMESTER AND WILL BE PLACED ON PROBATION FOR ONE SEMESTER. THE RECIPIENT CAN ONLY BE PLACED ON PROBATION ONCE AND REMAINING INELIGIBLE AFTER PROBATION CAUSES THE STUDENT TO BE DROPPED ENTIRELY FROM THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM. The recipient is responsible for contacting the scholarship committee with his/her transcript showing an improved GPA.
5. If a transcript has been altered, the applicant is automatically disqualified.
6. Guidelines may be amended as deemed necessary by the Scholarship Committee.
In January, the scholarship process is advertised, and scholarship applications are made available to high school students. Students are also made aware of the requirements such as acceptance into college/tech school and letters of reference.
2. Scholarship application packets which must include the following: an official high school transcript, which include the courses and grades from the first semester/quarters of the current school year, a completed application (page 4), letters of reference, and college acceptance letters are due March 18, 2022. Scholarship applications will not be considered if packets are submitted incomplete; the packets will be reviewed and scored based on completeness and accuracy.
3. Mock interviews are mandatory. Mock interviews will be held on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 and Thursday, March 31, 2022. Contact Tiffany Fearrington at 336-207-4329 to schedule your mock interview (call after 6pm between March 21–25th, 2022 to schedule appointment). Please leave a message if no one answers.
4. In April, applicants are scheduled for the formal scholarship interview. The interview ranking is based on a Scholarship Scoring Matrix developed at the start of the scholarship application process. Following the interviews, candidates will be evaluated, and a determination made for who the 2022 recipient(s) will be.
5. The winner(s) of the scholarship will be announced at the high school graduation ceremony held each year at Calvary Christian Center.
6. If you have questions about the scholarship process, please contact Mrs. Felisha Vestal at 336-392-8754.
Use the checklist below to ensure that all requirements have been met:
My parents are Calvary Covenantors AND have supported the church through tithes and offerings for one (1) year or more – on or before Jan 1, 2021
My high school transcript is attached and my cumulative GPA is 2.5 or higher
I will meet ALL high school requirements by graduation day
I have been accepted to an institution of higher learning and will begin classes next semester; acceptance letter(s) is/are attached
My scholarship application is complete and ready to submit with this packet
My 1-page essay (“Why I Should Be Considered for the Scholarship”) is attached
I have included two (2) reference letters
I have a completed scholarship application packet to be turned in to the church office by 5pm, Friday March 18th, 2022